GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Sill gasket

k8RQsvj3yc | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I’m currently planning on using an EDPM gasket under my sill plate (new construction). I’m also planning on using sprayed close cell to fill/seal the rim joist on the basement side. Since the main purpose of the sill gasket is air-sealing, is it really necessary if I do a quality job with the closed sell spray?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Tobias | | #1

Yes. Some type of sill seal is necessary. The main function of the sill seal is to create a capillary brake between the the foundation and the wood sill.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Jim,
    Tobias is correct about the importance of having a capillary break. Moreover, a redundant air seal at this location is a good idea; spray foam alone is not as dependable as spray foam plus sill seal.

Some builders even add a third leg to the stool: they caulk the joint on the interior before installing spray foam.

3. wjrobinson | | #3

Laser level check, shims, leveling concrete, span lows with rim, blue sill seal, caulk as needed done.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |