GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Stair railings

Bpu3S9n5vE | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Does anyone know where i can buy a book that contains math formulas for curved and offset stair railings?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Carl,
    Here's a link to a likely book. (Full disclosure: I don't know if this book has the math formulas you seek.)
    http://store.finehomebuilding.com/tauntons-for-pros-by-pros-building-stairs-andy-engel-070929.html

2. FosterLyons | | #2

Carl,
    Look for this book:

"Modern Practical Joinery" by George Ellis. Linden Publishing Company

I don't think you'll be able to go straight to the CNC machine after reading the few chapters in this book that discuss stairs and railings but it's a good start.

Good luck. You picked one of the few topics that may be more difficult than durability of wall assemblies.

3. DWBuilder | | #3

Carl,
    "A Simplified Guide to Custom Stairbuilding and Tangent Handrailing" by George R. diCristina teaches the tangent method for constructing curved handrail. I don't think it has the math formulas you are looking for--he uses geometric constructions. But there is a wealth of information. If you go to Amazon.com you can preview the book I believe.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |