0 Helpful?

Is N type mortar a good substitute for lime based mortar?

I have an old brick house built in 1915. In some places the bricks are so water damaged that they are deteriorating and turn to sand when touched. I'm about to get a lot of brick work done to the house.

1- I'm getting the front wall pointed--these bricks are actually in okay condition but they absorb water which is ruining the interior plaster walls.

2- I'm getting the bricks under the font porch parged. Only about two feet of the bricks are above grade and they are badly deteriorating and crumble away to the touch. They'll dig to the foundation, parge the bricks, then put a rubber barrier before they back-fill.

3- I'm also having the parapet parged. The bricks are also very crumbling and take in water badly during storms. I attempted to parge this myself with a lime based mortar, but did terrible job.

The mason is going to use N type mortar, which is for old soft bricks, right? Is that okay or will it make my bricks worse in the long run because it does have some cement in it? Will it adhere to my sub-par parging job on the parapet using lime based mortar? Also, will the temperature affect the work? It's about 55-34 degrees around here. Please help!

Many Thanks,

Asked by Mary Farrah
Posted Nov 17, 2012 12:44 PM ET
Edited Nov 17, 2012 12:44 PM ET


1 Answer

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

You have more questions than I can answer briefly. But I'll get you started, and then perhaps others can chime in.

Type N mortar is not a lime mortar -- if by lime mortar you mean a traditional mix of sand, lime, and water. Type N mortar includes portland cement -- typically 1 part portland cement, 1 part hydrated lime, and 6 parts sand. More information here: Repointing.

Portland cement adds strength to mortars, but limits flexibility. Mortars containing portland cement are not appropriate for repairs to historic buildings with pure lime mortars; however, you can't be sure of the composition of a historical mortar unless you have tested it.

The type of parging you are talking about is sacrifical parging. To read more about the theory behind sacrificial parging, see Efflorescence = Water Damage.

Answered by Martin Holladay
Posted Nov 18, 2012 6:10 AM ET
Edited Nov 18, 2012 6:12 AM ET.

Other Questions in GBA Pro help

an up-date to encapsulating the crawl space

In General questions | Asked by nepal | Jan 23, 18

How to insulate and finish basement when there are signs of efflorescence?

In General questions | Asked by J2D2 | Jan 21, 18

Insulating a house with 2x4 framing using exterior rigid foam

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by jetlaggy | Jan 23, 18

What should I replace my heating and cooling system with?

In Mechanicals | Asked by Jill D | Jan 17, 18

Envelope for garage under duplex

In Energy efficiency and durability | Asked by Dave McAlpin | Jan 23, 18
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!