Crawl space insulation

I have just completed installing 10 ml string reinforced vapor barrier over the ground in my crawl space w/ taped seams. I have closed and sealed the vents with foam board and installed a Santa Fe Advance2 Dehumidifier.

Asked By Barbara Rowland | Feb 27 17

Problem with moisture in attic and second-floor ceiling of unheated house

Remodeling a 40 yr. old cottage in NE NY to make it year round. No heat yet but after 3 days of 60+ temps last week, a 2-3 sq. ft. section of ceiling adjacent to the masonry, 2 flue chimney is wet and there is frost on the chimney in the attic. There are two gable vents, each 1.5 sq'. located opposite each other across the 28' width of the attic. They're as close to the ridge of the 5/12 pitch roof as possible. The perpendicular attic length is 23' for a total of 644 sq.'

Asked By John Oliver | Feb 27 17

Can you plaster over spray on insulation?

A room has been sprayed with spay on insulation, it looks like it's coated in porridge as they have not put up a frame.
Now to finish the room? Do I cut it off flat and flush, then put plaster board over it? How do I secure this to the wall?
This house is an old Southern Spanish country house.

Or can I plaster or render over it as it stands, giving a rounded edge to the walls as the other walls have been finished?

Thanks in advance for any clues, it's a bit of a mess.

Asked By HeidiByTheWay | Feb 28 17

Casement windows?

I'm looking for highly efficient triple glazed windows with a high solar heat gain coefficient for use on the south side of a new construction home in Massachusetts (Climate Zone 5). I like Schuco windows, however, I am looking to compare with a window that performs similarly but doesn't open into the living space. Any suggestions?

Asked By user-6776655 | Feb 26 17

Knee Wall Access Doors

I've been searching online unsuccessfully for how to build an airtight and insulated access door for a knee wall between a conditioned room and unconditioned side attics for a cape cod style home. Do a search for this and you'll likely find a ton pictures on how to seal and insulate a pull down or horizontal door. I'm dealing with vertical access doors for a knee wall. I've contemplated constructing something from plywood with rigid foam insulation behind it, but that doesn't really take care of the air sealing problem.

Asked By Jeff Towson | Feb 27 17

How to keep house framing relatively simple, inexpensive and better than code?

I have a house design that I hope to build that is approximately 900 square feet, consisting of a story and a half. Second story has short knee walls and a ceiling that follows the roof line until 8' at which point it will be flat. The south side of the house has a shed dormer to gain headroom and windows.

Asked By Curt Lyons | Feb 27 17

Full basement with rubble foundation wall

Full Basement w/ Rubble Foundation Wall - New interior load bearing wall with new footer

Asked By Sam Onuska | Feb 27 17

Air conditioning for a radiant heated home?

We're planning a new two-story house build in Ottawa, Ontario, probably equivalent to zone 6/7 on the US chart. We are planning to use hydronic heated floors on all three levels.

What are the most common approaches for adding air conditioning to a house with radiant floors? We will have a fairly comprehensively ducted HRV/ERV system.

The house will be superinsulated (~R40 walls, R60 attic, R20-30 below grade) with southern exposure and proper window shading to limit solar radiation. Finished plans should be around 2500 sqft.

Asked By Lance Peters | Feb 5 17

Follow up question re: basement subfloor (climate zone 7a)

A couple of weeks ago I asked a variety of questions pertaining to my livable space basement retrofit for a 1974 home in climate zone 7a. Recap: there is no exterior foundation or under slab insulation, etc. No water penetration issues into the interior but part of the basement has shown recurring efflorescence and some spalling in a few places.

Asked By user-6759891 | Feb 24 17

SIP roof issues

Hi Everyone.

I was listening to Mr. Holladay on the FHB podcast and started getting nervous about my SIP roof built 3 years ago.. We live in central Washington and the climate is pretty cold in the winter (mid 20's) and hot in the summer (upper 90's). The humidity levels are low year round. We get about 2-3 of snow on the ground by February. The roof is 1/2:12 pitch and is 64'x32'. The bottom seams of the panels were taped, although the tape didn't seem to stick all that well. The humidity in the house is around 28-32% year round. The ceiling is painted drywall.

Asked By Matt Melton | Feb 17 17