GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Should I vent enclosed soffits on a house with an unvented cathedral ceiling?

rhschneider | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Hi,
We’re in zone 4C at 1550 feet. Building a log house. We’re planning on an unvented cathedral ceiling (2 in. closed cell spray foam with balance of rafter bay filled with additional insulation). The roof (12/12 pitch) is shingled at this point in time. We utilized I beam style rafters. We wanted to use cedar T&G planks on the underside of the soffits (4 – 5 feet wide). We hope to have a few recessed can lights in the gable soffits. Should we vent the soffits? If so, how? Or is the T&G “leaky” enough for ventilation. It’s rather wet here, 30’s to 20’s for periods during the winter, 70’s with sun during summer. Concerned about moisture in enclosed soffitsLeaving soffits open won’t work. Can’t find recommendations for this issue! Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Rick,
    You don't need to vent the soffits.

But there are several concerns you haven't mentioned.

First of all, if you want to install can lights in an outdoor soffit, you have to be sure that they are appropriate for a damp environment. Otherwise, the trim will rust, and they'll look terrible.

Second, these can lights will create hot spots that have the potential to melt snow on your roof and contribute to an ice dam. I don't know how much snow you get in your area, but you don't want hot spots on your roof. You may be able to address this issue with some rigid foam.

Third, you need to maintain adequate clearances to prevent the can lights from overheating.

2. rhschneider | | #2

Thanks for the advice and putting our minds at ease. We'll use LED bulbs to reduce heat. Not too much snow, but we can always leave the lights off if there is an accumulation.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |