GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Cold air infiltration through a power-vented water heater

user-990874 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Hello.
I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this problem.

I recently installed a power-vented natural gas water heater to replace a 20-year-old electric.

The installation was done by me and inspected by both a gas fitter and the local gas company. All is good…

However, there is a significant amount of cold outside air coming in the 2″ (system 636) exhaust from the power vent, and its enough to spin the fan on the power vent backwards. (when not running of course)

The vent goes straight up from the water heater about 2′ then a 90Deg. turn about 2′ to another 90 deg turn about 2′ out the wall and there is a 90Deg on the outside that points down and there is a bug screen (supplied with the heater) glued into that final 90.

My question is, is there a flapper, damper product I could use instead of the last 90 to prevent cold air from entering the vent. OR should I try adding another couple 90 deg bends outside or a T?

Having that cold air come in and down through the hot water tank can not be efficient.

Thank You

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |