GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Can you replace drywall with cob?

Teri_Ed | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Hi, I am new to this forum. I apologize if this has already been asked but, my husband and I are trying to ‘green-up’ our existing home. We have a dual east/west facing wall in the middle of our home that is hit by direct sunlight almost all day (lots of windows). I am wondering if it would be possible to remove the drywall, fill the wall boards with thermal mass sandbags, and cover the wall in cob.

Forgive me if this is a ridiculous question. I am not a home builder, just a DIYer and trying to evaluate my options. Thanks in advance!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Teri,
    I have never built a cob wall, and I am not an expert in cob construction. My first reaction is, "It might be possible, but are you absolutely sure that you want a dirt wall in your house?"

Assuming that the answer is "yes," I advise you to seek out local builders who have experience with cob construction.

Here is a link to a web site that discusses cob partitions: How to Make Wall Partitions With Cob.

You aren't the first person to post a question on GBA about cob partitions. Here is a link to a previous question on the topic: We want to build an interior 8" thick x 10' long wall of cob.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |