GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Geothermal closed-loop heat pump vs. lightning

tami weathers | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I live in central Oklahoma. My house was hit by lightning and we have hail damage.AC (among other things) is out.

The HVAC guy has experience with the geothermal system, installing, etc, but not with lightning strikes. They have already replaced two circuit boards…still not working.

Catastrophe insurance adjuster has experience with lightning, but not with geothermal heat pump system. His bottom line…can the unit be repaired or will it need to be replaced?

I just NEED coolness. Please help this very hot early 50’s wife!!!

Any help is appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Tami,
    If your local HVAC contractor is unable to diagnose the problem -- and from your report, that appears to be the case -- you should contact the manufacturer of the heat pump. If the manufacturer can't provide any assistance, then I would tell the insurance adjustor that the heat pump is unfixable.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |