GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Elevated terrace with snowmelt and bluestone 24 x 30 pavers

victorlouis | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Has anyone in the cold climate regions installed hydronic snowmelt, with an air gap between the weatherproofing membrane, and the finished materials? I am searching for a product that can act as a mass that fills the void between the epdm, and the bottom of the bluestone. I have hydronic loops within the pitched slab, and then pedestals with bluestone pieces. We need to fill this gap with a product that will heat up as a mass to effectively warm up the bluestone, and then melt the snow. If we don’t fill this gap, we don’t think this will work. Has anyone left the airspace as is, and has it effectively melted the snow? I welcome your thoughts.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Victor,
    A common material used to set flagstones is stone dust; you might also consider mortar. But perhaps the manufacturer of the bluestone tiles insists on the air gap to aid drainage.

I would be remiss in my duties if I failed to remind you that most snowmelt systems should be avoided for any type of green construction, unless the snowmelt system is an unavoidable part of a handicapped access ramp.

2. victorlouis | | #2

The snowmelt loops are tied into our geothermal system. The bluestone are raised off of the pitched concrete sub slab onto pedestals to maintain a flat surface. We discussed crushed limestone, pea pebbles, or something of that sort. As our company is known for building no two homes alike, i'd hope someone else can offer me advice with this installation.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |