GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

What is the best heating and cooling plan for renovating an old building into apartments?

aaronhirshberg | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

We currently have central forced air that has the ductwork going through the cold attic, and the suspended ceiling. I would like to tear out the suspended ceiling and put up drywall over the old broken lathe and plaster.

Should I run new duct work under the floor to floor registers (we have room for this since there is space above the ground floor’s suspended ceiling).

Or should I install electric baseboard heat, and a mini split A/C unit.

Another option is to run Pex tubing up from an existing gas boiler in the basement and add old cast iron radiators. But then we would still need an A/C unit for each apartment.

This is a 1930’s brick building located in zone 5A or Southeast Iowa.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Aaron,
    You've got a big basket of apples and oranges there, don't you?

These are very basic questions. Here's my advice:

1. First, choose a fuel. Electric baseboard heat is much more expensive than most other options. Does your building have access to natural gas?

2. After you have chosen a fuel, talk to a mechanical engineer you trust. If you really have no idea whether you prefer electric baseboard heat, a boiler, a furnace, or ductless minisplits, you need to sit down with a patient expert and have a long conversation.

3. Before you sit down with an engineer, you might want to read these articles from the GBA Encyclopedia:

Heating Options

Heat Pumps

Ductless Minisplit Heat Pumps

Boilers

Furnaces

Forced Air HVAC Systems

Hydronic Systems

Space Heaters

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |