Has anyone recently imported high performance windows to Canada? I'm currently looking at both Canadian and European windows for a house in southern Ontario and would be very interested to hear about any experiences, good or bad, that the GBA community has had.

On a side note, the Canadian market for high performance building products seems so small that finding local dealers for many products seems tough. Other than ordering from Small Planet Workshop or Four Seven Five, are there any good sources out there?

Asked By Graham Fisher | Jul 22 14
Answers

I am having a new outside air conditioner and a new 2 stage gas furnace put in. My mobile home is from about 1977. It has 1440 sq. ft., floor (out flow vents) & ceiling in flow vents. The present duct work is inaccessible. There is an old 4 ton elec. A/C unit and an old - maybe 100,00 BTU gas furnace. Neither one is efficient. My place is probably not very air tight Don't know about the insulation. I think I live in zone 3C (about 2+ hours N.

Asked By JOANN CORTINA | Jul 22 14
Answers

As it needs a new roof (old shingles are stripped to sheathing and house tarped at old site), the current plan is to chainsaw the eaves then apply air/vapour barrier insulation (either Roxul ComfortBoard or EPS) to exterior walls, preserving as much interior space as possible. Exterior cladding is a mix of lightweight metal sheeting and local milled treated using shou sugi ban technique both on vertical furring (metal is recycled, locally milled is from trees harvested onsite).

Asked By Janet Blayone | Jul 22 14
Answers

I'm about to remove my blow in installation out of the athic and I was trying to figure out which the open or the close cell is recommended.

Asked By TERRY KELLEY | Jul 22 14

For zone 6, when building a new construction wall assembly, why wouldn't this method work well- starting from the exterior side- OSB sheathing, Roxul R-23 cavity insulation, 1-2" foil-faced polyiso rigid board placed continuously over inside of wall, joints taped appropriately, furring strip, drywall. It seems that this would pose the least risk-as the continuous foil-faced polyiso will stop to a great extent vapor transmission. I realize that no assembly is completely vapor leak proof, but the OSB can dry to the outside if need be.

Asked By Peter Nadler | Jul 22 14

Hello Again!

I am trying to decide on the best weather barrier to use on my house, and would like to hear some opinions on liquid applied WRBs. I am looking at Henry Air-Bloc, for example. I am inclined to think that a liquid applied weather barrier would be more effective than a housewrap like Tyvek, but can't seem to find confirmation one way or the other.

I am hoping to use this external layer as my primary air barrier, so it is critical that it be as effective as possible.

Asked By Stephen Youngquist | Jul 22 14

I'm evaluating blown cellulose vs. blown fiberglass (Knauf Ecofill). The Oak Ridge study is often quoted regarding the drop in R-value of blown fiberglass when the temperature differential is high. However the tested fiberglass density (.4 - 5 lb/ft^3) is much lower than the newer fiberglass.

Asked By Neil Weinstock | Jul 21 14

I'm in the planning stages of a remodel and need to make a decision about cooling.

Asked By Eric West | Jul 21 14

Starting a new build (1 1/2 basement walkout), all 2x6 exterior walls w/ brick veneer in GA, CZ 3. Above grade, would like to do spray foam in 2x6 walls, 1/2" or 1" of rigid foam board on the exterior, and a 1" air gap. Will this require a housewrap or can I do without the rigid foam and go with a housewrap? Also, any recommendations about insulation strategies for the finished basement. Thanks!

Asked By David Myles | Jul 22 14

We had our basement encapsulated in the fall last year and made it through winter no issues. They used a thick mil high quality (apparently) vapor barrier and then sprayed /fogged with mold preventative. I don't think there is any more mold - smell is not musty really and I don't get a mold allergy reaction.

Asked By jeff weikert | Jul 22 14