duct board repair/starter collar holder help.

A contractor who installed my heater wrong/ I had to replace it after 12 years.
is now fixing my duct system to make me happy, (per them)
the duct system is duct board 26.5" wide 15.5" tall that runs like an L
around say 13 feet then L then say 75 feet long.
it dips down in the middle then goes back up but its all the same size.
from that flex taps off the box to the vents along the way and at the end they ran a 10" scoop to 8x8x8 and then 8x6x8 so its two 8 inch and one 6 inch flex at the vary end of the duct board.

Asked By chicken123 | Jan 21 18

Cycling of heat pump

I have a Fujitsu heat pump with two indoor units each in relatively small rooms. (For good or bad, this decision was made because I was not satisfied if only one room had a unit that sufficient heat could be transmitted to the second room and I wanted each room to have its own thermostat. I recognize that they are larger than I need but I did not see good alternatives) Currently both units are set on "minimum heat" (50 degrees F) because the rooms are not occupied for days at a time.

Asked By David Martin | Jan 14 18

I’m interested in disconnecting from the grid

Our house is tight. One of my big winter loads is the clothes dryer. I am getting questionable reviews on heat pump dryers. Should we just “freeze dry “ laundry on the porch. Are there any options?

We had poor reliability with two different horizontal axis washers and now have a Maytag. It spins but not like a horiz. axis.

Thanks.
Steve in Wellsboro

Asked By Steven McCarthy | Jan 18 18

Insulating a walkout basment

I'm trying to insulate my walkout basement in Chicago so Zone 5. I read through bunch of the posts but just need some clarification if what I have gathered is correct. I'm attaching a diagram to show exactly what my plan is but just need to figure out if the section above foundation/ground will have any issues with this setup.

Thanks

Asked By tkaj | Jan 19 18

Heat loss, can lights in cathedral ceiling

The information about replacing or retrofitting can lights with LED fixtures has been really helpful. However, I have a cathedral ceiling with what I think are standard can lights, with a diameter of 7.5" within the can, and about 9.5 " total diameter including trim--the ceilings are about 18' high so I am having a difficult time getting to one to carefully measure.

I cannot find anywhere residential can light LED retrofits for this size. I've looked at what Cree offers, as well as Home Depot and Lowes, and they all max out at 6".

Asked By JWBDSR | Oct 17 17

Wood stove backdraft

Hi all,

Asked By Randy Williams | Jan 19 18

Review placement and sizing of mini-splits

I have been reviewing the submittal sheets along with what feels like endless reading on this site. Through all the reading and studying I feel like I have a decent sizing and placement locations figured out but would like second opinion.

Front door faces NE and I'm in CZ 4A, 24149. The fireplace is a vented gas fireplace that is vented out the adjacent covered porch roof, no chimney. Patio doors where changed to single doors.

Design temps: 17/89. Indoor temp year round will be set at 72.

Asked By Kevin Lucas | Jan 14 18

Basement Insulation question

Hi,

I am planning to finish my basement and need help with what materials I should use.
I live in Ohio (5A as per map). I have concrete walls with 8 ft ceiling.

I have been reading a lot and not sure what I should be using. I need good comfortable basement. I was reading best to use XPS but now after reading more I see it is not a green option. I also read there are few new products coming out with HFO blowing agents (where to buy them from or they are not available yet ?) I also looked at roxul comfortboard 80. Please advice.

Asked By bullet0770 | Jan 17 18

What should I replace my heating and cooling system with?

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on the 'best' solution to my heating and cooling (and hot water)

- Zone 5b
- Loads from coolcalc and manual D/J
Heating loads
- Main house: 28k to 36k, 900 cfm
- Sunroom addition (can be closed off): 8k, 150 cfm unducted not planning to directly heat (current situation)
- Office addition 5k/3k, 180 cfm. Unducted, can probably be heated via staircase.

Cooling:
- Main house cooling load: 24k to 36k, 1200 cfm
- Sunroom addition: 8k, 450 cfm unducted not planning to directly heat (current situation)

Asked By Jill D | Jan 17 18

Another try at a ceiling service cavity framing

I now want the duct ed mini split IDU(s) and ducts within the ceiling therefore what I thought was an economical construction (lattice of flat wise 2x4s) really is not, especially if I'm to have code acceptable ducts. I simply need a taller cavity, 3" isn't enough, 6" is probably minimum. My latest thought is to use a variation of a Larsen truss (2x2 chords and OSB strips on alternating sides forming the "web") installed horizontally. The "Larsen's" top chord is fastened through the upper air barrier material (probably drywall) with screws into the bottom chords of the roof trusses.

Asked By Jerry Liebler | Jan 15 18