CMU walls and rigid foam

Retrofit concrete block walls painted inside and out. Exterior foam then rainscreen then siding. Keeping painted block as interior walls.
Do I have to be concerned with the vapor permanence of the foam?
Also, would there be any benefit in using foil faced...other than R-value?
Southern Georgia coast.

Asked By Robert Brown | Aug 29 15

Texans vs Saints live stream

Watch Saints vs Texans Live NFL Preseason Saints vs Texans Live NFL Preseason Texans vs Saints NFL Game Coverage Texans vs Saints Live Houston Texans vs Saints Live Houston Texans vs New Orleans Saints Aug 30th Texans vs Saints New Orleans Saints vs Houston Texans Live Online

WATCH NFL LIVE HERE>> http://tensportszone.com/nfl-link/

Asked By live sports | Aug 30 15

REMOTE walls using Roxul products

I've been on here previously to gauge everyone's thoughts on the building plan for our new house, and I was curious about the opinions out there on what we are currently thinking. We're building in northern Oakland county Michigan climate zone 5. The house is a 2357 sq ft ranch with a walkout basement. We've considered just about everything, but here's where our heads are at the moment:

1) I think we like the idea of doing superior walls for the backfilled foundation walls, with the exposed walls being wood framed (for ease of attaching cladding and framing windows and doors).

Asked By Brian W | Aug 30 15

Has anyone had experience with the Unico small duct system?

I was looking at the top finishers for the department of energy's "Race to Zero Student Design Competition" ( http://energy.gov/eere/buildings/2015-results ) and found the winner used the Unico system. http://www.unicosystem.com/the-system/how-it-works/air-handlers/. I recall actually being in a home in Chattanooga once 15+ yrs ago that I believe had one of these systems, but I really know nothing about them. With the problems associated with finding small enough systems for well insulated homes and cost effective systems...does anyone know if I should be looking at this as an alternative?

Asked By Andrew Bennett | Apr 29 15

Retrofit / renovation to bring heating costs under control

Hi folks,

Thanks for creating this great resource for newbies like me to learn!

We're actually near Toronto, Canada, but I think you could consider us Zone 6A for your purposes. We bought our ~2000 ft^2 1981 home last year and suffered a horribly cold and expensive winter, so we'd like to take steps to bring that back in control.

Asked By Justin Allport | Aug 20 15

Third-party filters for Zehnder HRV / ERV units?

Besides ordering from zehnder, are there any other filters available that will fit their units? It's not a question of price but more so of long term availability. If they go out of business will I still be able to source filters? I haven't had the chance to pull one out of the packaging and go down to the local HVAC supply house with a tale measure.

I'm an electrician and not an HVAC contractor so I don't understand if these are a common size/shape/build or totally proprietary.

Asked By Lance C | Aug 29 15

Minisplit or furnace?

Hi, I know there is lots of discussion about this; however, our proposed new construction seems to be in unclear realm of which to use.

Asked By Mark Buckingham | Aug 28 15

Alpen vs Inline

I am comparing Alpen and Inline products. I have recieved quotations from both companies and I would like to pose a few questions to those that have a little more experience in this relam.

Both companies use fiberglass frames and Cardinal Low E Glass. Inline makes their frame and Alpen purchases the frame material through Inline.

Alpen makes a double pane window, their 525-s Series, that have a whole window U-factor of .19 for casements and .15 for pictures. Inline offers a triple pane window with a whole window u-factor of .17 for a casement and .14 for a picture.

Asked By David Mosijchuk | Mar 25 15

Rim joist foam and termites

I'm not sure if this would fit better 'Energy Efficiency and Durability' category, but I have a few questions about using foam to insulate rim joists. From an air-sealing and thermal performance perspective foam seems the clear choice. I've read Martin's FHB article and spray foam and cut-and-cobble approaches make sense.

Asked By Jeffrey S | Aug 24 15

Insulate cold water pipes

Replaced galvanized pipes wth copper about 15 years ago.
Current hot weather in California causes extreme heat in attic despite solar attic fan and gable vents.
Cold water in pipe line is extremely warm and warm water is now in toilets
Fear warm water may crack toilet tanks and ruin flooring.
How best to insulate these cold water pipes from water getting warm?
Company which did insulation spoke of 3" wall around these pipes.
Can you explain what this is and best way to insulate these pipes?
Thank
Paul

Asked By Paul Deleon | Aug 28 15