Q&A: A Forum for Green Building Experts and Beginners

Q & A Instructions

[Click map to enlarge]

The GBAGreenBuildingAdvisor.com web site has a wealth of articles on a wide variety of construction topics. Before posting your question, you may want to check out the articles on this page: How To Do Everything. You just might discover an article there that provides the information you seek.

Please register for a free account or sign in to ask and answer green building questions.

If you want to post a question, the usual rules of courtesy apply:
1. Be nice.
2. If you can't be nice, be polite.
3. If you can't be nice or polite — well, please be brief.

To attach a photo or illustration: Under the box labeled “More explanation,” look for the words “File attachments.” Click that, and you should be able to attach a photo.

Thanks for joining the conversation!

0 Answers

Apple Smartphones

Asked By Gretchen Bushell | Jan 21 17
0 Answers

IPhone Repair

Asked By Nicholas Swart | Jan 21 17
0 Answers

Are Developing Economies Lagging Behind in the Global Aged Care Market?

With a globally high percentage of senior citizens, aged care services and its associated markets have never been this important before. The baby boomer era is inching toward a close as the people born in that time frame are mostly past retirement. But the individual need for longevity is always present, creating the need for added assistance for senior citizens who are unable to perform a few basic functions by themselves.

Asked By Gertrude Brookman | Jan 21 17
0 Answers
0 Answers

10 Bad Habits To Ditch For A Happier You

You'll find a number of destinations, but they promote one common feature: good photography approach, including great lamps and thoughtful structure. Getting an iPhone app developed by a professional designer can cost much ($500 - $10,000 or even more!). Display- The size of the screen is 4.7 ins (~65.6% screen-to-body ratio) featuring LED-backlit IPS LCD, capacitive touchscreen and 16M colors with quality of 750 x 1334 pixels (~326 ppi pixel density). We are able to go extra mile with Lifeproof accessories because we can use iPhone no matter where, when and how you want to.

Asked By Charolette Oram | Jan 21 17
1 Answer

Options to rectify attic system

I'm in a 1930's 2 story Colonial in zone 5 (greater Boston area). I have a furnace in my unconditioned attic, along with all of the ducting, which is leaky and has very little insulation. The attic floor is also filled with insulation gaps and air leaks. This appears to be absolutely awful for ice dam formation, so I'm trying to rectify the situation. I'd like to be energy efficient, but I'm worried much more about the risk of major damage from the warm roof in winter. I've put a thermometer up there, and when the furnace kicks in, it gets close to 60F when it's ~25F outside.

Asked By Mike S | Jan 20 17
0 Answers

Windows Mobile 7 Apps

Asked By Ezequiel Hanton | Jan 21 17
0 Answers

The G1 "GPhone" Verses The IPhone

Asked By Augustus Bowling | Jan 21 17
1 Answer

Rental Wall

Hello, I've been digging through the wealth of information here at GBA and have gotten some really good ideas and a much better understanding of theory that is really helpful, but I have a few questions. Im making plans to build a simple 16x30 1.5 story cabin, with balloon framed 12ft walls and 12/12 roof in Homer, AK, an oceanfront town which is in zone 7 from what I can find. I want to build it to be energy efficient and tight, but not extreme. The plan is for it to be a rental, so durability is the biggest concern.

Asked By Aaron Bonnett | Jan 21 17
6 Answers

Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer that makes an energy efficient, dual HVAC/ ventilation system that would satisfy both of my needs and eliminate the need for 2 duct systems?

I'm planning a moderate size home in SoCal in a semi-desert climate with adequate thermal mass. The home will have a tight envelope and my understanding is that some sort of ventilation system with separate duct work is required.

I was planning on an air-source heat pump to meet heating and cooling needs, but this will only be used in the summer and winter months mostly.

Asked By Paul Minotto | Jan 20 17
Register for a free account and join the conversation

Get a free account and join the conversation!
Become a GBA PRO!