Laying out mini-splits for a new home

I have a new home in the design stage and have been working with with my HVAC sub and the wholesaler to layout and locate mini-splits for the project. The house will be 2550 sq.ft. on a slab with R40 walls, R75 ceiling and very tight. We are in zone 5, floor plan is attached. We will be installing an ERV for fresh air.

The HVAC guy and the wholesaler want to put a head in each bedroom as well as the entry, office, family room and great room and run them off of 2 separate outdoor units. Their concern is to provide uniform temps throughout the house.

Asked By Terry | Apr 17 15

Do I need to use concrete screws for plywood over an insulated floor?

i am following your advice on using XPS on concrete basement floor followed by two layers of 1/2 inch plywood. My concrete floor is 15 yrs old will I have trouble with concrete screws in older concrete? Can I just fasten the second layer to the first layer of plywood or can I use adhesive on the first layer or do I need the concrete screws?

Asked By Rita Erskine | Apr 17 15

'Finishing' above-grade Roxul Comfortboard: What are the best practices?

I'm building a new home. The exterior of the home, from the bottom of the basement to the edge of the roofline, is covered in 2" Roxul Comfortboard.

Asked By Ryan Lazuka | Apr 14 15

Cathedral ceiling rebuild techniques?

I have 900 sq feet of cathedral ceiling. Zone 7b. Its 2x10 rafter construction. No venting with recessed lights. Mold and moisture remediation will begin in 2 weeks. I've been doing lots of reading on GBA, I love this site and forum. Right now, the rebuild plan is a sealed ceiling with 4" of 2lb spray foam with the remainder of the rafter bay filled with fiberglass batts. All recessed lights will be removed. I'm considering T&G for the interior finish. Will the T&G change my insulation plan? Am I missing anything?
Thanks.

Asked By Scott Buchanan | Apr 2 15

White pine

Hi, I'm needing to build a large rabbit hutch with an enclosed run, and I have to use white pine because the bunnies will chew on the wood and it is safe for them.

Some areas will be exposed to the weather and I can't paint it. How will white pine hold up unfinished?

Asked By Girene | Apr 17 15

Can isocyanurate paper/fiberglass faced insulation board be used on the inside of a wood stud framed wall?

Have old house with 4" cavity in wood framed walls. Exterior has 1" sheathing board with 6" wood shiplap siding over it. Can we put isocyanurate bd on interior of walls to increase the R-factor before we sheetrock top 4' and wood veneer the bottom 5' of the wall. Is their any increased fire hazard or other concerns

Asked By Bill OConnor | Apr 17 15

Do I need an interior vapor barrier of some sort?

The house was built in 1991 and is located in SE Mich, Zone 5?

It currently has a wood composite siding, no housewrap, and a mixture of plywood and double foil-faced foamboard (no discernible pattern). The studs are 1x4s. On the inside, it had fiberglass with a plastic vapor barrier. The windows are flangeless wood windows that I plan on keeping and restoring.

Asked By Hedy O | Apr 17 15

Anyone using or have opinions of H Windows brand?

We are working on planning a new house in western Wisconsin and have discovered H Windows brand windows made in northern Wisconsin with a dealer less than an hour away. Has anyone used these windows or have any personal knowledge of them? Their specs looked good on paper, I thought. They offer 3 different triple pane glazings. http://www.hwindow.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/HWC-Performance-Chart-...
If anyone within a reasonable distance of Menomonie WI has used them (or has a panel built wih SIPs), I'd like to hear their comments.

Thanks for any help or advise.
Jim Erdman

Asked By Jim Erdman | Apr 17 15

Vented SIP roof — fascia detail

Trying to find a photo or a detail of a vented SIP roof fascia area. Typically they use 1x or 2x furring strips on top of the SIP and then the layer of sheathing and roofing material. How the fascia gets finished is something that is hard to find. There is a 1" or 2" vent gap there so how does that all come together?

I did an internet search and could not locate any such detail.

Asked By Peter | Apr 16 15

Photos of site-built ventilation baffles

For an upcoming article on site-built ventilation baffles -- that is, baffles used to create ventilation channels under roof sheathing -- I'm appealing to GBA readers to send me photos of your work.

You can post the photos here, or send them to me by e-mail: martin [at] greenbuildingadvisor [dot] com.

I've heard of builders making these baffles out of rigid foam, cardboard, plywood, and fiberboard. If you have a favorite material, including one I haven't listed, please let me know about it.

Thanks.

Asked By Martin Holladay, GBA Advisor | Apr 16 15