Im looking for a energy expert in the Richmond Va area

Hi Everyone,
I plan on building a super insulated, sealed crawl, air tight home in the Richmond Va area. I am looking for a local energy expert to help me design my mechanical sys. I would like to use a mini split heat pump with some type of mechanical ventilation. Does anybody here know of a Richmond area person or company that could help me with design and consultation?

Thank you,
Steve Stemper

Asked By steve stemper | Feb 14 16

EVR Temp settings

I recently purchased a energy efficient home with many upgrades on that front. One of them is EVR. While i understand and felt like we have benefited from the EVR I am confused as to what temp I should have the lock outs set to. Currently the builder put them to 30 degrees and 95 degrees. That seems cold/hot to have that air being pushed into the house. Can anyone share some thoughts logic on those settings and if there are different settings please advise why? Thank you!

Asked By Tommy Barrett | Feb 14 16

Rim Joist Insulation: No Wood Sill Plate - Influence on Rigid Foam

Good evening,

I have been reading posts on this forum for the last year and greatly appreciate the thoughts offered. I own a 75 year old stone/brick colonial in SE Pennsylvania (region 4a). The basement is unfinished and the sill boxes are not insulated. I would like to utilize rigid foam (foil faced PolyIso) with spray foam to insulate the sill boxes.

Asked By Scott Fillery | Feb 13 16

Off-label use for open cell Iso foam?

GC is proposing to use Iso open cell foam as bulk fill in lieu of compacted gravel / sand fill over existing residential interior concrete slab on grade, to provide a base for a new interior concrete slab. Requirement is to bring a 15' X 19' X 12" deep "ashtray" up to level with surrounding floors and finish with tile to match adjacent. Application is strictly structural; insulation value is not a benefit. Existing recessed slab is 4" above base flood elevation including freeboard, existing plumbing drain pipes are below the existing slab.

Asked By Leslie Divoll | Feb 12 16

Raised-heel trusses can be annoying

We installed raised-heel trusses with bottom chord overhangs on our house. The top of the top chord is 20" above our top plate. According to the 2012 International Residential Code for seismic zones or zones designated for winds of 100 mph, raised heel trusses more than 15.25" have to be blocked and braced.

Asked By Jimmy Nguyen | Feb 6 16

What is the best way to install floating laminate over basement slab?

We are installing laminate flooring (and one room of tile) over an unsealed basement slab. The basement has exterior waterproofing, drain tiles, and sump pump. We live in the midwest - so lots of temp changes and humidity. What is the best way to install floating laminate flooring over basement slab? We do not have rigid foam installed under the slab unfortunately, so I am thinking we do need some under the flooring. I want to do everything we can to prevent condensation and moisture/mold/mildew problems. The basement is a walkout on the entire 4th wall. Thank you!!!!

Asked By Carolyn Farrow | Feb 13 16

Will minisplits work in all floor plans?

I'm researching the details of building a new house in central KY, zone 4a. This will be the house that lasts for the rest of our lives (hopefully 50+ more years). I had assumed that GSHP were the "no-brainer" HVAC choice, but from the looks of things, it isn't that simple. I've been reading some amazing things about the potential of mini split systems.

Asked By Clay Whitenack | Jul 20 15

Roof clips

Our roof will be 12/12 pitch with 2x6 raifters,would it affect much if we changed to 2x8 to fit a little more insulation,also our roof deck is 7/16 osb taped with a 1.5-2 inch polyiso nailbase on top if that,do you think we need roof clips on the first layer of osb or need to change that to 5/8osb?
Thanks

Asked By Quinton Bryant | Feb 11 16

Insulating an attic furnace room

I have a furnace in my attic around which the builder constructed an enclosure from 2X4 and foil-backed fiberglass insulation. I've been told the R-value of the insulation should be sufficient, but there is clearly air getting through at the seams and creating hot spots in the attic which then leads to ice dams etc. What is proper protocol for insulating these attic "furnace rooms"?

Asked By Patrick Finn | Oct 15 14

German flangeless window install and flashing details

I have an upcoming job with German tilt turn windows, they don't come with flanges like US windows typically do. My install plan is to screw through the frame (unless someone has a better idea) and once installed I am not that concerned about getting them air sealed. What I am trying to figure out is what is the best way to integrate them with the WRB and make sure they are not going to allow water into the home? Anybody know of a manufacturer who publishes good instructions for this? Maybe a German site that shows the materials and steps? This particular manufacturer does not.

Asked By Bob C | Feb 12 16