Are there HRVs that can be installed in unconditioned space?

To combat elevated humidity levels in my home, I am planning to connect an HRV to draw air from the HVAC return duct and to then to dump fresh air into the basement. Due to the limited space in the mechanicals/HVAC room, I am planning to install the HRV in the garage, but I see HRV manufacturers want it installed in an operating environment that's at least 50F, so my unheated garage would not be a proper location.

1. The RecoupAerator is an ERV that can be run in unconditioned spaces and the company says ERVs ought to be used even in instances where there are excess humidity levels, so the home is not dried out too much as a result of ventilation. For more humidity control, they recommend simply raising the CFM. They told me there's a special transfer material they can supply that will only do 10% moisture transfer back into the incoming stream. My plan is to swap these out for the standard material that will do higher moisture transfer for non-winter times. Would this ERV be a good idea in my case?

2. Are there any HRVs in the market that can be installed in unconditioned spaces such as an attic or garage?

TIA.

Asked by Venkat Y
Posted Aug 31, 2014 7:40 PM ET

1.

Venkat,
I don't know of any HRVs that can be installed in an unconditioned space in a cold climate.

It's true that an ERV will eventually lower indoor humidity levels in winter if you operate it for long enough.

Posted Sep 1, 2014 6:29 AM ET