GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Fresh air intake filters

srivenkat | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Hello,

I have the RecoupAerator ERV that I am in the process of getting installed. I have some sheet metal/duct people coming next week to give me estimates on installing the fresh air intake duct that will terminate thru an exterior soffit.

The RecoupAerator comes with MERV 12 filtration material inside, but I am wondering how to filter the air at the entry point into the fresh air intake duct. A simple insect screen there might still let small bugs and such into the the duct work where they will decompose.

Are there any basic filter cartridges available (like a MERV 1?) that I can install at the entry point so small bugs and such are filtered out? I am planning for the intake to be a 8″ round duct but I guess I can have the intake to be fabricated to match the filter.

Thanks,

venkat

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Richard Beyer | | #1

You can install a Fantech filter box with a Merv8 prefilter.

See... http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-FB6-FB6-In-Line-Filter-Box-w-MERV12-Filter-6-Duct

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |