GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Window & door header insulation options – Zone 5

JAC3232 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

2×6 stud walls, and the header’s have an inside and outside vertical 2×8, with the 2.5” center is empty. The outside sheathing is 1” polyiso with a foil (no OSB or plywood). I want to fill the headers before the windows are installed this week. Drying is to the inside, so no inside VB, and permeability is important. I was thinking 1.5” R6 Roxul ComfortBoard IS or 2” R8 EPS foam. I tried window/door spray foam, but the 2.5” gap was too large, and the foam just falls out to the floor. Am I overthinking this, and I can just stuff it with pink fiberglass?

Thanks,
J

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jeff,
    Buy some rigid foam insulation with a total thickness of 2.5 inches (for example, 1.5 inch + 1 inch). The rigid foam will do a better job than fiberglass.

2. JAC3232 | | #2

I found some 2.5" R10 EPS foam tonight. They're installing the windows tomorrow, so I was able to cut it and get it installed tonight. It worked perfect, with a nice tight fit.

Thanks Martin, your advice is always appreciated.
    Jeff

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |