GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I bought an Eichler-style home in central Florida with a flat Ickes-Braun skylight

rickybob23 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I bought an Eichler-style home in central Florida with a flat Ickes-Braun skylight, 8×20 ft.
There are five 4×8 ft panels.

The old panels were 1/16th fiberglass adhered to both sides of a aluminum box frame. the frame is 4″ deep with many divisions for supporting the new polycarbonate that I chose to replace the fiberglass with. the space beneath this in the center of the home and is an unconditioned atrium with sliding glass doors and glass all around. I am worried about the heat buildup between the panels as they are on both sides of the frame and have no ventilation holes. the old fiberglass had turned yellow and looked awesome and never leaked but as part of a new concrete tile roof, open cell spray foam and sealed attic system I decided I should rebuild this beautifull skylight. I have found 3M VHB double sided high temp tape that I believe will hold up to heat and gravity just wondering if I will get condensation between panels and should I drill some drain holes? the original did not have any and I did not see any water. Has anybody seen tis type of flat skylight from 1967??

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |