GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I was interested in Air Krete and wonder how good a product it is to have injected inside my exterior walls from outside

fixmyhome9 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I have a 1960s home without much insulation and at first thought some foam might be good. Now

I hear about Air Krete which claims to be a soft and better injected insulation.

Can I get anyone with experience in using this on an older home or any details about its pros and

cons?

Anything about what or whether it is a good material to fill the exterior walls of my home.

Thank you for any information. I don’t know anyone to contact.

Tom Mc

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Tom,
    Here's what I know:
    1. It shrinks.
    2. It's crumbly.
    3. The manufacturer is unable to provide any information on vapor permeance.

Here is a comment posted on GBA by a reader named Alan Rushforth:

"I was a prior Air Krete contractor/installer 15 years back. After diving in, buying equipment, advertizing, etc. I was dissappointed that, much though I did not want to believe it, I was finding the product did shrink a few percent. Part of the proceedure was to fill a 5 gallon test bucket, scrap it level, and weigh it. I would keep the buckets and let them dry. It was dissappointing to see the foam inside noticeably shrink after several weeks. The line from the manufactures would likely be there was something wrong with the installer or the equipment. I had brand new equipment. I am a stickler for detail, so I don't by that.

"The product of course is crumbly, and I could live with that, given other good non-toxic traits, but combining the crumblyness with the shrinkage to me meant compromized air seal. In my opinion, creating a good air seal is a primary reason one pays the extra money for foam.

"I stopped installing it. I couldn't see selling the equipment since I did not believe in it, so I dismantled it. Recently I insulated a new second floor on my home - used Icynene. That is not a commercial plug. I am no longer in any insulation business."

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |