GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

CMU walls and rigid foam

Bbrown3381 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Retrofit concrete block walls painted inside and out. Exterior foam then rainscreen then siding. Keeping painted block as interior walls.
Do I have to be concerned with the vapor permanence of the foam?
Also, would there be any benefit in using foil faced…other than R-value?
Southern Georgia coast.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Robert,
    Q. "Do I have to be concerned with the vapor permanence of the foam?"

A. No.

Q. "Would there be any benefit in using foil faced...other than R value?"

A. The foil facing would add about R-1 or R-2 to the assembly if it faces a rainscreen gap. Foil facing makes it easier to tape the seams of the rigid foam, which may be an important consideration if you intend to use the rigid foam as a water-resistive barrier (WRB).

2. Bbrown3381 | | #2

Just out of interest....do I need a WRB with painted block behind the rigid foam.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Robert,
    Every wall needs a WRB. A WRB is required by code and strongly recommended by construction experts.

One reason that you need to have a WRB is so that you know how your window flashing will integrate with your WRB. The WRB and the window flashing are part of a water management system.

Homes with concrete block (CMU) walls often have liquid-appplied WRBs. For more on liquid-applied WRBs, see these two articles:

Housewrap in a Can: Liquid-Applied WRBs

Liquid-Applied Flashing

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |