GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Tolerances and techniques for installing sheet foam below slab

dsmcn | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

Zone 4A. I will be adding 2″ of 25 PSI foam below my slab, across a width of 40′, enclosed on all sides by Superior Walls. Two questions:

First, how close must the flatness tolerance be between compacted crushed rock and foam?

Second, please offer suggestions & tips for achieving this tolerance. If screeding is suggested, please be specific about how to set up screeds across a distance of 40′.

I have seen several articles here and in Fine Homebuilding about installing foam on walls, but nothing very detailed about installing below a slab.

Thanks to all.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

David,
    When I've done this work, I've specified 3/4-inch crushed stone -- not larger -- because 3/4-inch stone is easy to rake. I rake the stone by hand, using a garden rake, and verify that the crushed stone is level with a long, straight 2x4.

I simply put a 4-foot level on the 2x4 to see how I'm doing. You can use the 2x4 as a straightedge to locate hills and dips.

If you pay attention, these are all the tools you need.

2. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #2

Note, for a 3-4" residential slab you don't need anything like 25psi foam- 15psi still has huge margins over what it would actually experience, even if you regularly host crowded polka-parties where the participant jump up and down with with kegs on their heads, or parked your Caterpillar D10 in the living room.

3. user-2994765 | | #3

Dana,
    Roxul ComfortBoard IS (8 lbs./cu.ft.) is now recommended for sub slab insulation (ASTM C 165
    745 psf (35.5 kPa) at 10 %, 1270 psf (61 kPa) at 25 %). Given your comment, do you think this is a good choice versus XPS?

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |