GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Bathroom ceiling

user-5774062 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I am going to be installing t&g pine (sealed all 4 sides and ends) on a bathroom ceiling. The ceiling is below an unvented roof and conditioned attic space (8″ closed cell foam in rafter bays). Climate zone 8.

I want to know if I should install the t&g directly to the framing members or to put up drywall first. I already have an ignition barrier over the foam. Will drywall just be a surface for mold and mildew? I have a Panasonic whisper green vent fan and a window in this 72sq ft bathroom.

Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jon,
    Since your bathroom ceiling has a conditioned attic above it, the bathroom ceiling is entirely indoors. There is indoor (conditioned) air on the bathroom side of the ceiling, and there is also indoor (conditioned) air on the attic side of the ceiling.

You don't need an air barrier, drywall, or insulation in this ceiling. Nail the tongue-and-groove boards right to the framing if you want.

There still remains the question of whether tongue-and-groove boards make a good ceiling for a bathroom. But if that's what you want, go ahead with your plan.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |