GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Can I get the name of an appraiser in the New Orleans area who is appraises homes with “green” technologies?

veraclay2016 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

I am getting ready to sell my home. I live in Mandeville, Louisiana, right outside of New Orleans. I want to get my home appraised, and would like to have someone who knows about green technologies. When I built my cottage six and a half years ago, I used as many green technologies as I could afford – foam insulation, a white metal roof, Hardy board, trex on the porch and deck, etc.

Thanks for any information that you can provide!

Sincerely,

Vera Clay

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Vera,
    When you interview appraisers, I suggest that you ask if the appraiser is familiar with the "Residential Green and Energy Efficiency Addendum." If the appraiser says, "I never heard of that," keep looking.

For more information, see this article: Putting Value on Green Enhancements.

2. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #2

Its a shame the Appraisal Institute does not require of their appraisers, their own members, to take the education and get certified to use Form 820.04. A very small percentage are qualified. If you check the AI website, there is not a single appraiser in Louisiana. Here in North TX is not that much better, and the appraisers themselves will tell you that they are too busy to take 45 hrs. worth of classes.

3. dankolbert | | #3

Yeah, good luck. It's absolutely one of the logjams keeping energy efficient homes from achieving any kind of rational market value.

At our monthly building science discussion group, we've had some certified appraisers (members of the Appraisal Institute) come in to talk about our industry. Two of the members who at one point had the "green" addendum certification let it lapse from lack of demand for it. It's a big mess.

4. JC72 | | #4

Never mind.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |