GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

When installing an HRV, can I replace the existing air makeup duct with a tandem duct and plumb my fresh air into the makeup?

bestwrench2005 | Posted in GBA Pro Help on

It looks to me like the air makeup duct on my furnace could be replaced with the new air in from my HRV. Will this constant flow from the HRV upset the pressure balance in the furnace?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Jon_R | | #1

The combustion air needed by the furnace is likely to be many times what the HRV supplies. I can see some technical attraction to trying to use outside exhaust air from a HRV for combustion, but there is very little energy there to recover.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Steve,
    The phrase "make-up air duct" is ambiguous. It can mean many things:

1. A duct that conveys outdoor air to a mechanical room in which there is an atmospherically vented furnace. This duct provides combustion air to the room.

2. A duct that conveys outdoor air (combustion air) directly to a sealed-combustion furnace.

3. A duct that conveys fresh ventilation air to the return-air plenum of a furnace.

I don't know what type of duct you are talking about -- 1, 2, or 3 -- but it doesn't really matter, because in all cases, the answer is no.

HRVs ducts must comply with the installation instructions of the HRV manufacturer.

For more information on this topic, see Ducting HRVs and ERVs.

3. bestwrench2005 | | #3

OK, Thank You Martin. Your timely responce certainly keeps me on track with this. And Jon Thanks for your input as well. .

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |