GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

4 Insulation questions

draperson | Posted in General Questions on

Greetings, I am finishing my gutted basement, and had a few insulation questions. I live in Portland, OR (zone 4).

General information:
My foundation is poured concrete, 4 feet underground with slab floor. The basement walls therefore consist of concrete (lower half), and 2×6 stud wall (upper half). Stud walls have exterior sheathing, house wrap, hardiboard siding. On the interior, there will be 1/2 inch plywood (earthquake retrofit) between the studs and drywall. My house was built in 1967.

Question 1:
I want to use unfaced UltraTouch insulation for the stud wall cavities. Will I have condensation issues within the wall cavity? Outside-in assembly would be: hardiboard, housewrap, sheathing, ultratouch, 1/2 plywood (earthquake retrofit), drywall.

Question 2:
Some cavities were half-filled with old faced fiberglass batts. A general contractor told me not to remove them because they could have vermiculite in them. So my plan is to fill the reminder of the cavity with ultra touch. Will I have condensation issues? Outside-in assembly would be: hardiboard, housewrap, sheathing, faced fiberglass batt (1/2 of cavity), ultratouch (rest of cavity), 1/2 plywood (earthquake retrofit), drywall.

Question 3:
For the lower portion of the wall, I am going to use 2-inch XPS and frame a half-wall around it. How should I make the seam from XPS to upper stud wall? I plan to rabbit 1/2 inch from the top of the XPS so it can sit over the 1/2 inch plywood (earthquake retrofit), and use construction adhesive at that seam. Then frame around it.

Question 4:
Finally, is there a fire risk with XPS touching plywood/stud wall? Everything will be covered with drywall, but behind the drywall, the XPS is in contact with stud wall (i.e. if XPS caught on fire, it would have a path to the rest of the house framing). There is no electrical within the half wall that contains the XPS.

Thanks a million in advance! Sorry for writing a novel above…

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Matt,
    Q. "I want to use unfaced UltraTouch insulation for the stud wall cavities. Will I have condensation issues within the wall cavity?"

A. Probably not, as long as you pay close attention to air sealing the interior at the plywood layer or the drywall layer. If there are air leaks through the wall, condensation problems are possible.

Q. "Some cavities were half-filled with old faced fiberglass batts. A general contractor told me not to remove them because they could have vermiculite in them."

A. Old batts did not contain vermiculite. Vermiculite looks like course sand or large grains of rice.

Q. "My plan is to fill the reminder of the cavity with UltraTouch. Will I have condensation issues?"

A. Again, no -- as long as you pay attention to airtightness.

Q. "For the lower portion of the wall, I am going to use 2-inch XPS and frame a half-wall around it. How should I make the seam from XPS to upper stud wall? I plan to rabbit 1/2 inch from the top of the XPS so it can sit over the 1/2 inch plywood (earthquake retrofit), and use construction adhesive at that seam. Then frame around it."

A. That sounds fine.

Q. "Is there a fire risk with XPS touching plywood/stud wall? Everything will be covered with drywall, but behind the drywall, the XPS is in contact with stud wall (i.e. if XPS caught on fire, it would have a path to the rest of the house framing). There is no electrical within the half wall that contains the XPS."

A. As long as the XPS is covered on the interior with drywall, everything is fine.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |