GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Finger-jointed poplar: offgassing?

user-471779 | Posted in General Questions on

About to trim out an entire house. I have the option of clear poplar and finger jointed poplar. My house is tight, and I have been careful about not ousting mdf for off gassing reasons. The finger jointed poplar is nice because it comes in 16 foot lengths, and it is a little cheaper. I imagine a little greener because it is helping use up scrap wood. My question… Is there any concern of off gassing, similar to mdf?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #1

Dean, the amount of adhesive in finger jointed stock is much lower than in mdf. I believe most finger jointed stock these days uses a polyurethane-based adhesive, which likely offgasses at the factory for the most part. If you or your client has extreme MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) I would want to know more about the glues used, but for most people, in a house with adequate ventilation, it's nothing I would worry about.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |