GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Timber vs concrete uppermost ceiling

davorradman | Posted in General Questions on

Price not being a factor, does either of these options have any significant advantages or disadvantages over another?

I’m building a 2 story brick and concrete house, but am considering of going with timber ceiling under the roof (which could also end up being flat roof).

The local price will be the deciding factor, but only if there are no serious drawbacks to the timber construction.

So, what gives, if anything?

Sound insulation should not be an issue since it’s uppermost?
There is not much difference in thermal insulation?
I already have thermal mass in walls/floors on the 2nd storey that should be enough?
Timber assembly would be somewhat thinner since insulation goes also between joists?

Anything obvious I’m missing?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Davor,
    Are you talking about the ceiling (the decorative layer under your roof assembly) or your structural roof assembly?

Obviously, you need a structural layer to create your roof. This could be reinforced concrete or some type of wood framing (wood trusses or rafters). Above this structural layer, you need roofing underlayment and roofing.

Your ceiling is decorative (although in some cases it must also have a fire rating). Assuming you have met fire rating requirements, you can use fabric for your ceiling if you want.

If you are talking about your structural roof, there are advantages to poured concrete. Concrete is fireproof.

-- Martin Holladay

2. davorradman | | #2

Structural roof assembly.

I already got the answer from a local contractor that such an assembly, with local prices, would be more or less the same price as concrete. So no point in investigating any further.

Concrete it will be.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |