GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Climate Zone 5 exterior cladding

user-6651407 | Posted in General Questions on

I want to start by thanking everyone so much with all the questions I have had with our new construction home.

We are nearing the Cladding Stage. The land we are building on has Covenants, and it states the building shall consist of at least 60% brick, stone, or masonry material on the front, and the remaining structure shall consist of wood, vinyl, or other comparable material.

We are in Climate Zone 5, ZIP sheathing, Open Cell Spray Foam in Walls.

I have been reading your articles for a while, and finding great info. Is there a type of cladding that is preferred in our situation, or one that is recommended?

I have read about Vinyl, and that seems like the best option, but my husband hates the look of it.
He would like to use stacked stone on the front, up to the window level then stucco on top. From what I am reading, this is very risky.

Looking for advice. Thank you!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Tyler_LeClear_Vachta | | #1

The look has to be what you feel is best. As to the stucco and stone, you do need to ensure that it is detailed correctly. It's not hard, but behind stucco and stone you want to make sure you have a drainage gap(See "To Install Stucco Right, Include an Air Gap" https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/install-stucco-right-include-air-gap)

You want to ensure that the transition is detailed well. See the attached drawing to look at the transition. A couple of other details on this type of system
    https://www.mtidry.com/hyperspecs/thin-stone-to-stucco-transition
    https://www.mtidry.com/hyperspecs/thin-veneer-to-top-vented-wall
    https://www.mtidry.com/hyperspecs/thin-stone-veneer-at-bottom-of-wall-with-l-r-weep-screed

2. user-6651407 | | #2

Thank you, Martin. Is there type of exterior cladding that is "best" or has the best performance rating?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Bridget,
    Although you wrote "Thank you, Martin," I haven't provided you with any advice yet. The only comment came from a GBA reader named Tyler Leclear Vachta.

-- Martin Holladay

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Bridget,
    I'm not sure whether I understand the restrictions you summarized. Does your homeowners' association require your house to have at least two different types of siding? Or are you allowed to choose just one type of siding if you want all sides of your house to look the same?

-- Martin Holladay

5. user-6651407 | | #5

My apologies.
    Thank you, Tyler.

6. user-6651407 | | #6

Martin,
    We are allowed to have two different types, if we would like. We are required to have AT LEAST 60% brick, stone, or masonry material. We can have more than that if we want to. I think they are limiting the amount of vinyl siding. Which isn't clear to me since what I am reading is vinyl siding is the best performer.

7. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #7

Bridget,
    My own aesthetic judgment calls for just one type of siding for a house. I recoil in horror from two-siding homes or three-siding homes -- they look to me like props for a Hollywood set, or perhaps a house put together from scraps saved up by a contractor who hoards leftovers.

Like all aesthetic judgments, it's just my opinion. Your opinion may differ.

Of the three materials mandated by the homeowners' association, I would choose brick veneer. Be sure to get the flashing details right. Here's a link to an article you may want to read: Flashing Brick Veneer.

-- Martin Holladay

8. Reid Baldwin | | #8

If you use stucco, someone will have to make a determination whether that fits into the "other comparable material" part of "wood, vinyl, or other comparable material." Usually, Covenants specify these things because they want the homes in the neighborhood to have a similar style to one another. The closer your decisions are to your neighbors, the less resistance you will get. The writers of these covenants rarely give a #$%@ about building science.

9. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #9

Bridget,
    If you end up installing stucco, follow the advice in this article: To Install Stucco Right, Include an Air Gap.

-- Martin Holladay

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |