GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Preferred window/door sill flashing tape?

GreyWolf92 | Posted in General Questions on

I’ve been looking for some water-proof/vapor closed window sill tape alternatives to the pro clima extoseal.

Planning on using vapor permeable tape for pretty much every other application but I’ve been told it’s best practice to use a vapor closed tape at the window sill because this is the one place where water may sit for longer periods.

What is your guys preferred tape for this application?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

Greywold,

I've never found much difference between any of the brands I've used. Right now I get Resisto or Henry Blueskin depending on what's in the lumberyard.

2. GreyWolf92 | | #2

Hi Malcom. Are either of these vapor closed? The bottom window sill potentially is the most important so I want to make sure I use the best.

3. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #3

They are both Peel-and-stick membranes. Great for creating sill pans. They don't stretch around corners though, like Dupont's Flex-wrap, so you have to use three pieces and bow ties.

http://us.henry.com/fileadmin%2Fpdf%2Fliterature%2FBlueskinVP100_Installation_Guidelines.pdf

4. GreyWolf92 | | #4

Great thank you! Have you ever used Pro Clima extoseal or Du-point flex wrap?

5. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #5

I've used Dupont flex-wrap. I find it quite hard to get the wrinkles out, and it doesn't feel as robust as the Blueskin - although that is only my impression.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |