GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Cheap cedar alternative for shed clapboard cladding, in Europe?

davorradman | Posted in General Questions on

I’m planning to build a large multifunctional shed. More like a multifunctional yard building, 7x7m. Part will be masonry (3x3m) with wood clapboard cladding, the rest I had planned as a just a storage area, with cladding on the outside, OSB on the inside, on wood construction.

I want to use wood clapboard siding (with rainscreen). Resources I find from USA websites mostly use cedar for this purpose.

What would be an acceptable local alternative here in Europe, with regards to durability and resistance to elements, but cheap?

Fir and spruce are cheap, so that was my first thought, because this is an outbuilding, and we are aiming for some rustic. I had planned to char it a bit as well. I like the look and it’s apparently beneficial.

But I have been advised against this. These softwoods are apparently not hardy enough for this purpose. or are they? 🙂

Alternatives are pressure treated beech, larch and Oak. but these are all multiple times more expensive. Is there anything more affordable?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. davorradman | | #1

Forgot to mention.

Climate zone equivalent 6-7.

And I will not be painting. Just charring a bit.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Davor,
    Fir and spruce (at least the species available in the U.S.) can be used for siding, but they aren't as rot-resistant as other species (for example, white cedar or red cedar).

The keys to a long-lasting installation of fir or spruce siding are:

1. The foundation must be high enough to keep the lowest level of exposed wood at least 10 inches above grade. This limits rot from splashback.

2. You need generous roof overhangs on all four sides of the building. Some builders do a better job with eave overhangs than rake overhangs. You need both.

3. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #3

Siberian larch (and other larch species) siding has a long and good history in cooler parts of Europe and east Asia..

Where are you located?

4. davorradman | | #4

@martin
    Very generous overhangs on all 4 sides are planned with or without wood siding. And concrete footings will be built high enough to deal with splashbacks (concrete is comparatively cheap here).

@dana
    I am in continental Croatia. Climate is i think comparable to North Carolina/Virginia.

We do have siberian larch, but it's expensive. If I were going with more expensive wood, I would prefer to go with Oak, since it's local and there are 100-yo oak barns still standing so it stood the test of time. Price is even somewhat lower than siberian larch.

But ideally, I would like to go with something more budget, that would be good for 20-30 years, instead of 100.

"Problem" is that available materials and prices are such that there is no middle ground. I can either choose cheap pine/fir or 4x as expensive oak/larch.

I am currently searching for private sellers of wood, I might find that prices are more acceptable in this market.

Just as a comparison.. Fir/spruce comes out to 0.35$/sqft, oak/larch is 4x that. This is for 1 inch thick planks.
    Building is cheaper here than in USA, but so is the standard, so the difference is not a negligible as it might seem in absolute terms.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |