GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Encapsulation and Radon Mitigation

StelloDesignSolution | Posted in General Questions on

I am renovating a home in WNC which needs to be encapsulate for mold and mildew abatement. It also has been tested positively for Radon. Does a proper encapsulation take care of the radon issues? If not, can you prescribe the proper steps to take?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

Can you clarify what is being encapsulated? Where is the mold and mildew located?

2. StelloDesignSolution | | #2

I am doing a thorough encapsulation of the crawl space to include a 12 mil barrier, taped at all seams, covering all of the masonry walls, and installing a whole house crawl space de-humidifier.

3. user-2310254 | | #3

If you have elevated radon levels, a good first step would be to hire a certified radon contractor. See Martin Holladay's article, "All About Radon" (https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/all-about-radon) for additional information.

If you have high humidity in your crawlspace, it would make sense to convert it to an unvented space. There a quite a few articles and discussion threads on this site that address crawl space isuues. A good place to start is another Martin Holladay article: "Building an Unvented Crawl Space" (https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/building-unvented-crawl-space).

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Stello,
    The two articles that Steve Knapp linked to are a good place to start.

If you know that you have elevated radon levels, it makes sense to get a radon mitigation contractor involved. I would not depend on the contractor who has agreed to insulate your crawl space for these details. A crawl space contractor may or may not have a good understanding of radon issues.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |