GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Fastening foil-faced polyiso under floor joists

fourforhome | Posted in General Questions on

Martin advised, “My favorite specifications for exposed floors like yours: Install a continuous layer of rigid foam on the underside of the joists — foil-faced polyiso is the easiest type of foam to tape — and blow cellulose between the joists.” (https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/community/forum/energy-efficiency-and-durability/101443/better-floor#ixzz4kg9M7Udw)
Question: Is ½” poly-iso strong enough (24″ oc) to support dense pack cellulose blown into the floor joists or is 1″ needed? Assuming no drywall is needed to cover the polyiso, what is needed to fasten the polyiso to the TJIs?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Mark,
    In your first post on this question, you indicated that this is a floor assembly above a crawl space.

The first step is to consult your local building department to find out whether your local code requires rigid foam in a crawl space to be covered with drywall.

Assuming it isn't, I would advise you to install polyiso that is at least 1 inch thick. Before you attempt to fill the joist bays with dense-packed cellulose, it wouldn't hurt to reinforce the polyiso with 1x3 or 1x4 strapping, 24 inches on center, installed with long screws through the polyiso to the floor joists.

Before the strapping is installed, you would hold up the polyiso with cap nails. But I wouldn't depend on cap nails alone to hold up the polyiso if you are dense packing.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |