GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Asphalt-compatible waterproofing material?

mla12 | Posted in General Questions on

I’m looking to waterproof the exterior of our foundation (along with drainage board, footing drain, etc.)

I was looking at Masterseal HLM 5000. However, we have a bit of damp-proofing that was applied — some type of asphalt emulsion that was slathered just between the footing and wall joint.

I contacted BASF to see if we could just leave the asphalt emulsion in place and apply the HLM 5000 over it, and they said no… that it would need to be removed.

Removing it is a real PITA. Can anyone suggest alternative waterproofing products that would be compatible with the existing asphalt emulsion? Or, if not, any suggestions on how to remove the existing stuff? Mineral spirits breaks it down but it looks to be a really big job.

Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Maurice,
    As far as I know, there is no technical definition of the word "waterproofing" when the word is applied to a basement wall.

Most waterproofing systems include several elements; for example, (a) a dampproofing product applied to the wall, (b) a dimple membrane that creates a drainage channel between the soil and the dampproofing product, and (c) a functioning footing drain system.

If you renew the layer of asphaltic dampproofing, and if you include a dimple membrane and a functioning footing drain system, then, in my book, you have a waterproofing system.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |