GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

HVAC question

jabehling | Posted in General Questions on

Hello!

We are building an energy efficient 2700 sq foot ranch, open concept. We live in Wisconsin and leave the windows closed year round due to allergies. So, the AC or Heat is normally running.

It has been suggested that I get an HRV. It has also been suggested that I get a whole house air purifier. Do I need both? Or maybe just and HRV and 4′ media filter?

For the HRV, I have seen Lifebreath or Zehnder? Either one better, or other brands to consider?

My builder is not familiar with these specific types of products.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jenny

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Jenny,
    Q. "It has been suggested that I get an HRV. It has also been suggested that I get a whole-house air purifier. Do I need both? Or maybe just and HRV and 4' media filter?"

A. Most homes don't need an "air purifier" -- a phrase with no technical definition, describing a range of appliances, from the useful to the fraudulent.

HRVs are eminently useful ventilation appliances. For more information, see Designing a Good Ventilation System.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |