GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

New bath fan vent placement – seeking advice

hertzr | Posted in General Questions on

We have a first floor bathroom on the home’s gable end that currently lacks a vent fan. I plan on installing one next weekend, but am seeking advice on the fan’s exterior vent placement.

I think I have two options:

1) installing a ceiling fan and running a 12-ft rigid pipe through/parallel with the floor joists and out the back end’s vinyl siding. This places the exhaust vent ~10-ft below my attic’s soffit vents.

2) installing a thru-wall fan through exterior brick. This places the vent ~10-ft below my gable vent.

I prefer option 1 because of interior fan aesthetics and the fact I don’t need to drill through my 1950 Cape Cod’s brick. My only concern is the exhaust’s proximity to the soffit vents – is 10-ft close enough to potentially cause issues?

Many thanks in advance!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. hertzr | | #1

BTW, the house is in climate zone 4-A if that helps.

Also have a follow-up question - if I go through the vinyl siding, what is the best way to detail the exterior vent cap? Cut the siding and mount the cap to trim block or screw the cap directly to the siding?

2. Expert Member
    ARMANDO COBO | | #2

Look for the manufacturer's installation guide, but typically by code, you need to stay 10' from any air intake. It does look like option 1 is best, IMO.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Hankla,
    Through the vinyl siding will be easier than through the brick. The distance from the soffit vent shouldn't cause any worries.

Many suppliers sell vent terminations designs for vinyl siding. Here is an example:
    https://www.doitbest.com/products/107719?via=57c72f3d69702d410a0032ec%2C57c72f5669702d410a00347c

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |