Double vs Tri Pane Marvin Windows

I have a window quote for several windows. Going with Marvin Integrity. Contemplating an option for TriPane Low E2/Low E1 w/ Argon. Ufactor drops from 0.28 with the double pane to 0.19 with the TriPane, and SHGC drops as well from 0.45 to 0.25. Windows will be on the NW and NE sides of my house.
Price premium for TriPane is >25% ($267 increase), so needless to say the energy payback is long long term (if at all).
Ive heard that triple pane windows have much better sound suppression compared to double pane windows. For those that have them, how much better is it? Its valuable for me to know because I live within a 1/4 mile from a RR track/road crossing and the horns can be a bit much sometimes. So the extra cost may be worth it to me, but looking to get a general understanding of how much suppression is valuable to me before I order the windows.
Thanks in advance.

Asked by Pete Marthaler - Zone 7
Posted Sep 13, 2017 12:40 PM ET

1.

Pete,
The reduction in noise transmission is considerable. In fact, programs designed to mitigate noise complaints from homeowners living near airports usually focus on replacing existing double-pane windows with new triple-pane windows.

Posted Sep 13, 2017 1:03 PM ET