GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Door flashing detail

climb_on | Posted in General Questions on

We are in Minnesota (Zone 6a). 2200 sq/ft single level (9′ walls), slab on grade.

Is a recess in the slab the preferred method for pan flashing a slab? I have several innie doors, 1 outie doors and 1 sliding patio door. How deep should these be? 1/2″?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. climb_on | | #1

This is the picture I meant to attach.

2. climb_on | | #3

Thanks Steve. Yes I saw that. It's where I got the picture from. It's not really discussed what the preferred mwthod is when starting from scratch. That poster was trying to fix a problem on an existing home.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Scott,
    Every exterior door needs sill pan flashing. For a slab-on-grade home, creating a "seat" in the concrete as shown in the Building Science Corporation document make sense. It's probably the best -- but not the only -- way to provide sill flashing in such cases.

If you prefer, you can use a conventional technique (peel-and-stick flashing or metal flashing), as long as the flashing technique you have chosen doesn't interfere with your flooring installation.

Here is a link to the Building Science Corporation document where the illustration came from: Pan Flashing for Exterior Wall Openings.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |