GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Once again, the New York Times flubs an article on green building

Martin Holladay | Posted in General Questions on

Today’s New York Times announces an exciting new type of housing.

The article describes this housing option as:
– “eco-friendly”
– “sustainable”
– “a legitimately green option”

What’s the article talking about? Homes made from shipping containers, of course.

Here is the link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/22/realestate/home-in-shipping-container.html

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #1

The only person in the article calling it "green" or "sustainable" are:

"...Paul Galvin, the chairman, chief executive and a founder of SG Blocks, a publicly traded company that repurposes maritime-grade cargo shipping containers..."

...who clearly has a financial stake in marketing the approach and:

"...Jeremy Hardison, senior planner with the town of Carolina Beach..."

who likes "...the idea of alternate and sustainable construction methods...", without necessarily endorsing this approach as sustainable (it's clearly "alternate").

While there is lip-service given to the structural aspects, it's notable that in the construction pictures there is a lot of steel removed for windows without additional steel being added for structure. Similar project's I've seen documented in the UK had a full-on engineering analysis, with LOTS of steel added to compensate for the compromised monocoque once large sections of the sides are removed.

There are quite a few pictures of the construction in these galleries:

http://www.steelehouse.net/callicooncenter/

2. STEPHEN SHEEHY | | #2

I had the same thoughts when I read it. Most of the comments to the article are pretty negative, with many mentioning problems associated with trying to insulate.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |