GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Foundation drain tile and filter fabric

cloves2016 | Posted in General Questions on

Hi all,

So I have finally finished waterproofing my foundation wall (used MasterSeal HLM 5000 its about 4ft below grade). I am going to be adding 2″ XPS and then miradrain drainage mat to the outside of that. This leads me to the drain tile and footer. I am planning on running the water to a drywell in the future eventually.

Trying to figure out what filter fabric to use. I have 4″ sch 40 pipe and planned on 3/4 crushed gravel to bury the pipe wrapped by filter fabric. Might also add a filter sock as an extra layer of protection.

Any recommendations on which filter fabric to use?

Also anyone have any photos of drain tiles showing clean outs? I was thinking adding a few sweeps that come up so I could clean out down the road.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Dan,
    I recommend that you buy whatever brand of filter fabric is sold at your local building supply store.

Attached are some photos of clean-out pipes.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Dan,
    Here's a detail showing filter fabric.

3. cloves2016 | | #3

Thank you Marty. Seems there is really cheap fabric which was available at the concrete/paver/big box stores and is not the one that goes around the drain tile. The building places have geotextile non woven. Much more expensive but what should be used here in North New Jersey. Material sold locally is 4 mil.

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Dan,
    Sorry, but I'm not an expert on filter fabric.

Once these fabrics are protected from sunlight (by burying them), they should last a long time. But clearly, you need to choose a fabric that is durable enough to withstand the typical job-site abuse that accompanies installation.

5. JayMart | | #5

Dan, How did the waterproofing, XPS, Miradrain work out for you?

1. cloves2016 | | #6

JMrtns, sorry just saw this thread and saw your reply. The waterproofing seems to have worked well. I have not had any water issues inside the day light basement. On the inside I have 2 inches of XPS against the block wall and cement board covering the wall.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |