GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Window with stone veneer below

user-6651407 | Posted in General Questions on

Siding to Stone Veneer Transition. Flashing used between two claddimgs at transition point. Windows sit right above stone veneer, and have sloped downward sills as part of the windows themselves. Stone veneer directly below. Slicker Max used rainscreen.
Would anything be required below the window, with an already sloped sill, above the stone veneer. Trying to find something similar to what am describing to upload.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-6651407 | | #1

Here is something similar to help describe

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Birdie,
    The window rough opening needs to be flashed before the window is installed. The sill pan installed in the rough opening needs to drain to the exterior of the WRB installed below the window. You'll also need to include an air space between the stone veneer and the WRB.

The detail below shows an installation that uses rigid foam as the WRB. Other WRBs are also possible, of course.

3. user-6651407 | | #3

I️ am searching for detail which shows a more flush stone under the window. Instead of installing a stone ledge, our window already acts as this. Hoping this pic will upload so it helps show what I️ am describing

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Birdie,
    My advice remains unchanged. You still need to flash the window rough opening; you still need to install a sill pan in the rough opening; you still need a WRB; you still need an air space between the WRB and the stone veneer.

I'm not sure whether you can install all of the components I described above, and still end up with a window that looks like the one in the photo. It may be possible. But remember, good water management details are far more important than an architectural "look."

5. user-6651407 | | #5

Yes, all these steps are being incorporated. Would it be better to push the stone directly under the window? Mostly curious about any small space that may be present right below the window/top of the stone. If water gets back there.

6. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #6

Birdie,
    The sill pan will drain to the WRB. That said, your stone veneer will need some type of cap (metal flashing, a concrete sill, or some type of flashing provided by the manufacturer of the stone veneer -- assuming you aren't gathering the stones yourself in the woods).

Even if your window can be installed in the same plane as the stone veneer, you still need to direct the rain that drains from the window sill to the outer face of the stone veneer.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |