Can I remove a vent-free gas wall heater or should it be done by a professional?

I was reading your piece on Vent free heaters. The home I purchased a earlier this year has a vent free heater, installed by the previous owner. I have never used it out of fear and want to know is it best to have it removed or should I just never turn it on? If removal is the answer should it be done by a professional?

Thank you for your time.

Asked by Smilingbrook
Posted Dec 7, 2017 11:52 AM ET

1.

Smiling Brook,
It may depend on where you are. You couldn't here in Canada. Gas appliances belong to a class of equipment that can only be worked on by ticketed professionals. I would imagine that similar regulations exist in most other places, but it will be interesting to hear from posters elsewhere.

Posted Dec 7, 2017 12:12 PM ET

2.

Smiling Brook,
I think that your plan to remove the heater is a good one (assuming, of course, that the appliance isn't required to keep your house from freezing this winter).

If you want to remove the heater yourself, there are two hurdles:

1. You need to understand all of the elements required for working safely with propane or natural gas fuel lines. If you are unsure of any element of the work, don't do it.

2. You need to verify (as Malcolm suggested) that there are no legal restrictions in your area to this type of work by homeowners.

Posted Dec 7, 2017 12:21 PM ET