GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

I have a 1960 ranch home which has the plumbing for the bath, clothes washer, and water heater centrally located

Stanglover1 | Posted in General Questions on

I have a 1960 ranch home which has the plumbing for the bath, clothes washer, and water heater centrally located. In the summer when the temp outside reaches 95 to 100 degrees in Louisville KY, the bathroom has a ‘sewer’ smell. The hotter it gets the more I [can smell it].

I need some help with this as my daughter’s bedroom is next to the bath so I have to close the door and put a towel at the bottom each evening before putting her to bed.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-2310254 | | #1

I suggest calling a plumber to inspect your plumbing system. If that's not possible, check the vent stack (a pipe that should exit the roof from the plumbing wall) to see if it is blocked. In a house that age, it's also possible one the tub/shower trap has an issue. This is a dangerous situation and should not be ignored.

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Stang,
    Steve is right. This kind of problem is usually related to a problem with a trap (the trap in a drain) or your venting system -- in other words, elements of your DWV system. Call a plumber.

3. tommay | | #3

Yup, fixtures either not vented correctly, no trap on a fixture or perhaps wax seal on toilet......

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |