I have a 1960 ranch home which has the plumbing for the bath, clothes washer, and water heater centrally located

I have a 1960 ranch home which has the plumbing for the bath, clothes washer, and water heater centrally located. In the summer when the temp outside reaches 95 to 100 degrees in Louisville KY, the bathroom has a 'sewer' smell. The hotter it gets the more I [can smell it].

I need some help with this as my daughter's bedroom is next to the bath so I have to close the door and put a towel at the bottom each evening before putting her to bed.

Asked by Stanglover1
Posted Jan 2, 2018 10:34 AM ET
Edited Jan 2, 2018 10:58 AM ET

1.

I suggest calling a plumber to inspect your plumbing system. If that's not possible, check the vent stack (a pipe that should exit the roof from the plumbing wall) to see if it is blocked. In a house that age, it's also possible one the tub/shower trap has an issue. This is a dangerous situation and should not be ignored.

Answered by Steve Knapp CZ 3A Georgia
Posted Jan 2, 2018 10:48 AM ET

2.

Stang,
Steve is right. This kind of problem is usually related to a problem with a trap (the trap in a drain) or your venting system -- in other words, elements of your DWV system. Call a plumber.

Posted Jan 2, 2018 11:00 AM ET

3.

Yup, fixtures either not vented correctly, no trap on a fixture or perhaps wax seal on toilet......

Answered by tom may
Posted Jan 13, 2018 12:36 PM ET
Edited Jan 13, 2018 12:37 PM ET.