GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Advice on trimming out exterior light fixture where pancake box sticks out too far?

MichaelBa | Posted in General Questions on

Hi guys,

I have a few exterior light fixtures I need to install but the existing pancake boxes are sticking out over an 1″ from the siding.

I attached a few photos I found online that are identical to my situation.

The pancake box is installed in the wall so it cannot be removed.

What would you guys recommend I do here? Are there are deep trim boxes I can mount over the pancake box to water seal it? And then install the light fixture?

Or do I need to custom make one out of a wood block?

Any ideas you guys have would be great.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #1

Michaelba,

If the boxes are mounted directly to the siding, you can unscrew them and use a 4" hole saw to allow them to be re-mounted to the sheathing underneath.

You can also just use mounting blocks, which are available at all the BB stores.
    https://www.homedepot.com/b/Building-Materials-Siding-Mounting-Blocks/N-5yc1vZbye2

2. MichaelBa | | #2

Thanks Malcolm. Do they make these mounting blocks deeper? I would need to to be at least 1" deep to cover tha pancake box and be tight against the siding.

3. MichaelBa | | #3

Thanks Malcolm. Do they make these mounting blocks deeper? I would need to to be at least 1" deep to cover tha pancake box and be tight against the siding.

4. MichaelBa | | #4

If I cannot find one deep enough I think I will just cut-out a rectangle of 1x8 piece of cedar and cut out a circle so it can be placed over and the light fixture will have something to be flush against.

5. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #5

Michael,

I'm confused. Low-profile boxes are 5/8" deep. Are these just regular boxes that have been mounted too far out from the siding? If so, why not just get new boxes?

Typical low profile box: https://www.lowes.ca/electrical-box/iberville-ceiling-pan_g1440663.html

6. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #6

double post

7. Expert Member
    Michael Maines | | #7

Michaelba, using light blocks--rectangles of wood or plastic--is very common on houses of all types. It's clear in your first photo that you have what is commonly called a "pancake box," 5/8" thick as Malcolm said. Where are you measuring a full inch? The light block should be bigger than the fixture's wall plate, in case that's not clear.

It looks like your light is under an overhang, which is good--otherwise flashing light blocks takes a bit of effort.

With your type of siding, though, I would do as Malcolm first stated and remove the box, push the wires back into the wall, and drill out the siding for the pancake box. (or have your electrician do it.)

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |