GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

This post is not about building science

Martin Holladay | Posted in General Questions on

The topic here has nothing to do with green building, so feel free to skip it and look elsewhere for a more relevant post.

My sister Meg spent a year living on the island of Lagonav in Haiti, where she volunteered as a teacher in a local school. Friends of hers on the island, including Jeanes, an agronomist, and Balaguel, Eligène, and Carlot, agricultural technicians, as well as two teachers, a school director, and a local government official, have set up an agricultural development project.

The premise is simple: Provide the poorest residents of the island with seeds, and, for the farmers who lack even the most basic tools, a sickle and a hoe.

Here’s a link to the Go Fund Me page if any readers are interested in more details:
Zanmi Latè Seed Project 2018.

For those who are interested in rural development, thanks for reading this far. For those who want to focus on construction problems, no need to linger here — time to move on to other posts.

Thanks.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Yupster | | #1

This fantastic to see, our church has been involved in something similar in Haiti for a few years now. I've visited the island twice and left a piece of myself there (literally and figuratively, medical accident). I love seeing projects that will make a lasting impact, rather than just 10 people painting a building and flying home. Keep up the good work friends of Martin's sister Meg!

2. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #2

Yupster,
    Thanks for the feedback. Meg is now working at Boston area hospitals; she is a certified medical interpreter, providing translation services for patients who speak Haitian Creole. I'm proud of her work.

The agricultural project in Lagonav is impressive -- very low overhead costs, with the aid going directly to the neediest members of the community, through simple, proven measures (developed locally) that will reduce hunger.

Thanks for your volunteer work in Haiti, by the way. I hope that you have recovered from your accident.

3. Yupster | | #3

Maybe your people and my people should talk, we might be able to learn something that would improve our efficacy. Is there a way I could get contact information I could pass on to the board members of the missions group?

4. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #4

Yupster,
    I just sent you an email. You can email me with any questions:
    martin [at] greenbuildingadvisor [dot] com

5. Yupster | | #5

Thanks very much!

6. Expert Member
    MALCOLM TAYLOR | | #6

Thanks for posting that Martin. We have stubbled a bit this year to find charities we feel comfortable supporting. Finding people with dirt experience who can vouch for the efficacy of their actions makes it a lot easier.

7. BillDietze | | #7

As long as we've veered off topic, I can't help but to plug the organization my stepdaughter founded eight years ago: Goals Haiti. Similar work using soccer to pull in the community and the kids, providing meals, a literacy program, health education. The goal is to get kids into high school and community development. The organization has just one non Haitian on the ground and local help for everything else. A source of jobs and advancement for several villages. Might be a source for networking and synergy.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |