GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Basement – Rigid Foam + Rock Wool + Smart Vapor Retarder?

anom12 | Posted in General Questions on

I am having my basement finished in Toronto (Zone 5 I believe). We have an interior french drain installed and dimple membrane on the block foundation walls going to the french drain. +

From reading on here, we have installed 2″ EPS (Durafoam) against walls (over the dimple membrane) and framed with 2×4 studs in front. We have filled the stud bays with rock wool (R14). I have read the articles and posts here recommending against the use of a traditional poly vapor barrier. However, is it advisable to use a smart vapor retarder (like Certainteed Membrain) or to use nothing and just drywall?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Anom12,
    You don't need an interior vapor retarder. Just drywall is fine.

2. anom12 | | #2

Martin, wouldn't this cause the inside warmer air in the winter to cause condensation in the rock wool?

I was reading this article: https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/energy-solutions/smart-vapor-retarders

In which cases would an interior vapor retarder be necessary then?

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

Anom,
    You won't get condensation unless the humid air contacts a cold surface.

The reason you installed 2 inches of EPS against your block walls is to make sure that there is an air barrier with R-value that prevents the warm humid interior air from contacting the cold concrete blocks. Once the EPS is up, the question becomes: "Will the interior surface of the 2-inch thick EPS ever be cold enough to permit condensation?" If your wall assembly is properly designed -- that is, if the foam is thick enough -- the answer should be no.

For more information on the theory behind these concepts, see Calculating the Minimum Thickness of Rigid Foam Sheathing. Since you have 2x4 walls with fluffy insulation, you want at least R-7.5 rigid foam in Zone 6 -- so you should be fine.

4. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #4

In Toronto you may to include a layer of MemBrain for INSPECTOR control, even though it's not actually necessary in that stackup & location for condensation control.

The 25 year average annual heating degree days in Toronto is still under 4000 HDD (base 18C), so it's technically still zone 5, but it's the cold edge of zone 5- some years actually bump over the 4000HDD mark:

https://toronto.weatherstats.ca/charts/hdd-wyearly.html

Either way, with 2" of even Type-I EPS you have plenty of dew point margin for a 2x4/R14 wall.

5. anom12 | | #5

Thanks, appreciate the answers!

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |