GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

radiant flooring and rugs

user-7066100 | Posted in General Questions on

I have radiant flooring and need rugs by doors so visitors can wipe their shoes..I do have rugs outside, but still would want to put inside..Shoes off in the cold and rain..

The rugs I would like have rubber backing…Rugs would not cover a large area.

Suggestion?

Thank-you!

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #1

Bella,
    Put down a floor mat and don't worry.

2. user-2310254 | | #2

Bella,

Have you considered a no-shoes policy? The soles of our shoes pick up an incredible amount of ick in the outdoor environment. Wearing shoes indoors allows that stuff to end up inside your home. When someone visits our home, we ask, "Are you comfortable removing your shoes?" It's a nonissue for most people. And booties provide a solution for the occasional person who wants or needs to keep their shoes on.

3. Expert Member
    Dana Dorsett | | #3

Putting some numbers on it...

A 5 square foot (24" x 30") mat on a radiant floor is reducing the output of only that 5 square feet , which is typically less than 50 BTU/hr per square foot (which would be a VERY warm floor). Say in the extreme case (a very thick mat with a thick underlayment it cuts the output by 25%, so that it's putting out less than 200 BTU/hr.

The adult human that wiped her feet on that mat would be putting out more than 200 BTU/hr even if she were asleep under a blanket, more if conscious and sitting or standing.

Relative to the size of the room the loss of that ~75 BTU/hr it's of VERY little consequence, and relative to the whole-house heat load it's "in the statistical noise".

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |