GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

cantilever steps

ilmbg | Posted in General Questions on

I want to move my steps- inside. I want to have cantilever steps, but can’t find any places that make them. As this is residential, it seems to make it even harder to find someone.
Also, I have 6 inch solid concrete exterior walls- will it be safe to attach cantilevers to the wall- I wouldn’t think I would use more than a 2-3 inch ‘bolt’ or other attachment to the wall- would it disrupt the integrity of the wall. I live in an earthberm home and that wall is covered with dirt.
Thanks

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. Peter Yost | | #1

Hi Deb - I am having trouble envisioning what you mean by moving your steps inside. Whatever you end up doing, you will need a design that meets with local building code requirements. I would bet that with a 6-inch concrete wall you will need to use through-bolts and some sort of plate or washer to spread the load around each through-bolt. Hope this helps but feel free to come back and hone your question a bit.

2. Daniel Morrison | | #2

Can you snap a photo and send it in? ([email protected])
    We'll have a peek and see what we come up with.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |