GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Light cans in lid

american green | Posted in General Questions on

Sorry this got posted first as an answer!
In the case of a retro and the cans were not direct contact what would you think about making a chicken wire basket/dome around the can and mounding the insulation around it? Other burning question is I would think since compact floresent bulbs don’t get as hot as incandesent the problem of close can contact with insulation may not be a problem at all, what do you think?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. boatkinson | | #1

For heat reduction, LED lights far surpass fluorescent bulbs and save considerable energy too-- Brighter LEDs are slow in coming to market, due to vested market forces. As i remember it took compact fluorescent bulbs about 20 years to commercialize brighter and warmer-tone bulbs at low cost. As to cementitious embedding of light-cans... I would be sure to check with your code people first and solve this before hand-- Once a bulb emits heat, it needs a provided escape route. So some sort of heat dissipator towards the room-space should be allowed. Overly insulated light bulbs are likely to overheat beyond approved specs. That is perhaps why inefficient products will disrupt the good intentions of going green. Cement-- In common-sense terms only, i can say that i have found ordinary portland cement or masonry cement can easily be mixed with vermiculite. High temperature insulating can thus be obtained easily, with ordinary materials. Yet a refractory mineral wool is much easier to work with, provide one does not cook those less efficient bulbs. Bo Atkinson

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |