GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

How much weight will a 2 by 4 roof/ceiling truss take?

GBA Editor | Posted in General Questions on

I have a manufactured home and want to add insulation and replace the ceiling.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. user-757117 | | #1

I'm not the expert who can answer your question but I'm guessing you may not have provided enough information to get a useful response from the experts. How big a span do the trusses cover? Are they supported at all? What weight are you concerned about; insulation? ceiling finish? snow loads? What kind of climate are you in or where are you?
    Just trying to help.

2. Riversong | | #2

Exactly as much weight as those particular trusses were engineered to take. You have to go back to the manufacturer and ask for their specs. Every roof truss is designed for a specific application and every truss is different.

3. Riversong | | #3

On the other hand, unless you're intending to hang a ceiling or use insulation that's much heavier than what you're replacing, they will have no effect on the roof trusses. The primary load they're designed to carry is the snow load and wind loads.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |