GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

Air Krete insulation and drying

chrisjohnston2112 | Posted in General Questions on

Hi, my name is Chris. I am building a home. Outside walls are OSB. I have installed house wrap on the exterior of the OSB. I plan to have Air-Krete insulation in the wall cavaties. I contacted an installer who informed me the Air-Krete is installed in the wall cavaties. A house wrap is then placed over the studs, on the interior. Drywall goes up over that.

My question is, if my OSB somehow becomes wet, how will it be able to dry with house wrap on two sides? Is the house wrap installed on the interior by the Air-Krete installers breathable? I have an email into my installer about this, but he has not gotten back to me yet. Any comments appreciated.

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. homedesign | | #1

Chris,
    have you considered other thermal/air control strategies?
    I admit that I am not familar with this product.
    I did find this video and the Scientist in the Lab Coat did not impress me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dYG5ON6EH0
    The retrofit process looks pretty cheesey too.
    I urge you to do more homework.

2. Riversong | | #2

Chris,

Housewrap, unlike the vapor barrier materials that have been typically installed behind the drywall, are highly breatheable. The better ones serve as an effective air barrier, which is what is most needed on the inside.

But building codes generally require a minimum 1 perm vapor retarder on the interior. Vapor retarder primer will meet this requirement.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |