GBA Logo horizontal Facebook LinkedIn Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram YouTube Icon Navigation Search Icon Main Search Icon Video Play Icon Plus Icon Minus Icon Picture icon Hamburger Icon Close Icon Sorted

Community and Q&A

General question on resource conservation: how do we protect and conserve the valuable human resources offered by this website?

user-659915 | Posted in General Questions on

I’m thinking of the general meltdown that occurred in this thread: “Heat-pump water heater vs. instantaneous water heater” posted by Steve Bumpus a couple of weeks ago, which resulted in some very angry words and the loss (temporary, I hope) of one of the most distinctive voices in this forum. I have found Robert Riversong’s contributions mostly informative and often challenging, in the best possible way: I shall miss them. I hope he returns soon.

How can we prevent this happening again? No anonymous posting has been suggested. Other options: more active moderation? more guidance on question formats (this one was beset with multiple variables and internal contradictions)? any other thoughts?

GBA Prime

Join the leading community of building science experts

Become a GBA Prime member and get instant access to the latest developments in green building, research, and reports from the field.

Replies

1. rustyjames | | #1

tol·er·ance   
    –noun
    1. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.
    2. a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.
    3. interest in and concern for ideas, opinions, practices, etc., foreign to one's own; a liberal, undogmatic viewpoint.

2. Mike | | #2

A very few of the people that respond in this site believe they, and only they, know what green building is all about, their thoughts, their methods, etc. These people have neither social skills nor respect for others. They may have a lot to teach, but their rude and intransigent ways turn off many of us who come here to learn. Anyone who is an expert on any subject must be able to communicate properly if they want to inform, but insults and putdowns cannot be a part of it. These folks may have a lot of knowledge, but definitely have no class. I for one, will never pay to get insulted.

3. GBA Editor
    Martin Holladay | | #3

James,
    Robert Riversong is still welcome to post any time. How often he posts here is his decision alone.

I have suggested common-sense rules that favor civility and respect. These rules are not cumbersome or restrictive.

I'm not sure whether a meltdown occurred; it's certainly true that some uncivil behavior was exhibited. We're all adults here, however, and this was not an earthquake.

Carry on, lads. The forum is still here.

Community

Recent Questions and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |